Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Two Critical Ways to Achieve Health and Wellness Success!

Are you one of those people (like many) that make a list of resolutions at the beginning of each new year?  Like many well-intentioned individuals you make a commitment to follow through and accomplish those lofty goals.  Then, somewhere along the way you lose focus, and the plan goes south.  Sound familiar?

One challenging area for many people is personal fitness.  I have certainly struggled, over the years, to find some balance in this arena.

A Wake-Up Call

Recently a new health issue emerged, forcing me into a serious period of self evaluation.  It’s not easy for me to admit this, but I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes.  One of the sad things about this disease is it often occurs due to poor lifestyle choices.  In my situation that is absolutely true.

I chalk up the fact that I got diabetes to my body saying, ‘Dude, you have been doing wrong for way too long!’ Randy Jackson

I don’t want to spend too much time dwelling on why I arrived at this juncture.  The bottom line is many years of a carefree lifestyle and an undisciplined approach to nutrition and fitness caught up with me.  I often joke about the fact that “you pay for your pleasure” …. well, clearly I am now paying for mine.

A Tough Pill to Swallow!

Upon diagnosis my physician immediately prescribed  medication (Metformin) to address this challenge.  For the record I intensely dislike and resist any form of drug therapy.  I am already taking blood pressure pills (since 2007) so receiving this news did not sit well with me at all.

The truth is Diabetes can be overcome, without medication.  Actually, Hypertension (high blood pressure) is reversible as well.  The key to eliminating these health concerns is by making lifestyle changes.  I control my own destiny.  If I wanna be healthy, then I have to modify my approach to life drastically.  And… these changes are not temporary … they will be permanent.

I spent an entire weekend brainstorming a strategy for regaining my health.  I then presented my action plan to my doctor.  I requested a three month “probation”, to prove to him, and myself, that I could fix this problem, without taking medication.  Surprisingly, He agreed.

Achieving Personal Wellness Success

The following are the components of my wellness action plan:

Plan and Document All Food Consumed — For my entire life, I have eaten whatever I wanted, without any real consideration for the nutritional impact.  Using a Food Diary Technology tool, called MyNetDiary I am now planning out what I eat, and quantity of it, every single day. The following are the nutrition rules I will follow:

• Fat 27% total calories (Saturated Fat no more than 7% of total calories)
  • Carbohydrates 52% total calories ( no more than 25% of total calories are sugar)
  • Protein 22% total calories
  • Sodium no more than 2,300 mg per day (this is a tough one)
  • Fiber at least 50 grams per day
  • Alcohol no more than 8 drinks per week (110 grams pure alcohol)

Get Moving! — Borrowing this phrase from the inspirational TV show “The Biggest Loser” consistent exercise is a critical piece of the puzzle.  My plan is:

• Work out 5 days per week for at least 45 minutes
  • Burn at least 500 calories per session (2,500 calories per week)
  • Walk of at least one mile on at least 3 days as part of overall workout

One of the keys to reversing Type 2 Diabetes is getting weight under control.  Following this plan, and managing calorie intake I expect to lose 2-3 lbs per week, with the ultimate goal of losing another 50 lbs or so, over the next 5-6 months.   I know this sounds like a lot of work, and it is.  But .. it is well worth it, and frankly I have no choice.  I hope to use this experience to help other people avoid getting themselves into the situation I’m in.

There are a variety of technology tools and resources available to assist folks in attaining their health and wellness goals.  I will talk about those in an upcoming blog article.

Are you experiencing challenges in attaining your fitness goals, or life balance?  How are you coping with or addressing them?  Please share your ideas with us!

Cameron Toth January 9, 2013 at 11:40 am

Dear Mike,

It is awesome that you are sharing your experience. Members of my family including myself have health issues around diet and weight. Considering this has become a national issue I hope more people will follow your lead!

Cameron

Michael M McCurry CMP January 9, 2013 at 11:43 am

Thanks Cameron for weighing in … (no pun intended) I am anxious to share all that I am learning in the hope I can help someone else avoid the challenges I now face.

One way or another I will overcome this health concern, I just have to take it one day at a time.

Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

Liz King January 9, 2013 at 11:50 am

You have been an inspiration! Thanks for sharing this! I use a few apps to try and keep myself on track – LoseIt, Nike+, runtastic pro and Bi.cycle. (Okay, maybe more than a few apps!). But – as we all know – the only way to stick to an exercise routine is self motivation – which can be fueled by others – and that’s how you’ve been helping me! Good luck. You got this!

Michael M McCurry CMP January 9, 2013 at 1:58 pm

Hi Fellow Fitness Enthusiast,

I have been equally inspired by your activities and Facebook discussion.

I watched the Biggest Loser this week and that really inspired me. Hell, you and i are not nearly in as bad of shape as those contestants and yet they are workin their butts off. I feel so fortunate not to have let myself go that badly.

Good luck to Liz and look forward to your continued shared experiences in your fitness quest.

Best,

Robin Klein January 9, 2013 at 1:23 pm

Kudos for “coming out” in your blog Mike….no doubt you will inspire and help others with your honesty and sense of purpose

Michael M McCurry CMP January 9, 2013 at 2:02 pm

Hi Robin,

I love how you refer to my “coming out” but I guess that is exactly what it is, because prior to this only a handful of people (you included) knew about the Diabetes.

I will do what I can as I travel this fitness and health journey to share what i learn with others, to help them along in their own life situation.

Thanks for commenting and congrats by the way on your own personal fitness quest as you have been doing awesomely.

Hugs,

Tracey Clark January 9, 2013 at 4:04 pm

Hey Mike,

I follow your comments on FB regarding how your workouts go and am very proud of you. I’m joining your plan to be better fit as it will definately help with my own struggles with weight. So, I can’t be close by as a workout buddy, but when I’m working out I’ll be thinking about ya! Keep up the good work.

Tracey

Michael M McCurry CMP January 10, 2013 at 9:38 am

Hi Tracey,

Thanks for the vote of confidence regarding the workouts.

I am so glad to hear you are working on fitness as well. It can only help us all to be more active and to “get moving.”

I think of you often, and look forward to a F2F connection in the future. Maybe an Evanescence concert??? :)

Thanks for all the support!

Hugs,

Tracey Clark January 12, 2013 at 1:43 pm

Would totally love Evanescence lol! Sounds good.

Louise Pochelski January 9, 2013 at 9:42 pm

Good blog, Mike, and great info. it’s realistic re the ‘adult beverages’ which is really good to see — Thanks!! I see your FB posts re your workouts and they help me get mine in every day. Keep up the good work . . . for BOTH of us!!

Michael M McCurry CMP January 10, 2013 at 9:41 am

Hey Louise,

Good to see you visiting my blog page.

The “adult beverages” thing is a tough one. I love my cocktails but I like being alive a whole lot more. LOL

I have turned a corner in my life that I can’t turn back on. I still plan to have plenty of fun though, just not all the time :)

I know you are working hard with your workouts so kudos to you, and let’s both keep up the hard work and hopefully we can inspire other people to do the same.

Best,

Dave Lutz January 11, 2013 at 7:26 am

Can’t wait to see the Mike McCurry who is a lean, mean fighting machine again. Good luck bro…we’re rooting for ya!

Dave

Michael M McCurry CMP January 12, 2013 at 3:34 am

Hey Dave,

Thanks much for your support, and I can’t wait to get myself back in shape again … it has been far too long.

We may have to play some Racquetball before too long.

Thanks again,

Sadrak S. January 16, 2013 at 7:34 am

Hi Mike, thank you for this beautiful post on H&W. I do not have HBP or diabetes myself (or am yet to be diagnosed, who knows?) but I am interested in every article that shows how to prevent or overcome those conditions naturally. This is why I also address those kind of subjects on my own blog. Keep on doing the good thing. Reading your post can help me and many others remain conscious about choosing the right things to consume.
Thanks again, this is a super nice job!

Michael M McCurry CMP January 25, 2013 at 4:26 pm

Hi Sadrak, I apologize for not replying immediately to your post. Thanks so much for taking time to comment on it.

I am glad you saw value in my words and as my story of regaining fitness health continues, I plan to continue sharing my journey and the learnings that go along with it to others, in the hope that someone may find inspiration through them.

Can you please share the link to your blog for the other readers here?

Thanks much, and all the best to you,

Belmarra Health February 14, 2013 at 6:15 am

Hi

I think it is a great post.Thanks for this sharing.

fitinthemiddle April 5, 2013 at 8:39 pm

I have so many friends with diabetes, some are already going dialysis treatments :(. Thanks for sharing your experience, I agree with you, thanks for the advise, I will definitely recommend this blog to my friends so they’ll be aware too. Good luck in overcoming your health issues!! You can do it!