Saturday, February 19, 2011

5 Reasons Why EventCamp Community Rocks My World

Have you ever lived someplace that you were so passionate about you would relentlessly defend your right to reside there?  Possibly some people around you may not see or understand the value of your chosen community the same way you do.  These naysayers may do their best to discourage you from living there, because they perceive it doesn’t suit them.  Sound familiar, or not?

By now you may have guessed I am not speaking of the house in which I live, or the neighborhood it sits in.  I am talking about a community of interest… A gathering of like-minded people with similar passions.  Folks, in my world that place is EventCamp.

A community of interest is a community of people who share a common interest or passion… Participation in a community of interest can be compelling, entertaining and create a ‘sticky’ community where people return frequently and remain for extended periods. Frequently, they cannot be easily defined by a particular geographical area. Wikipedia

So what is it about EventCamp that has captured so much of my interest and attention?  What unique characteristics of this splendid community have instilled in my soul, a spirit of unwavering support?  Here are some thoughts…

5 Reasons Why EventCamp Rocks!

Reason #1:  Innovation Lab — Each and every EventCamp conference has its own unique personality and flavor.  Consistently, attendees share with one another new ideas, or concepts, in a trusting environment of experimentation.  While organizers, presenters and attendees strive for excellence alike, we collectively embrace failures as part of the path leading to success.  The learning lessons that emerge from each event are usually amazing and sometimes game-changing.

Reason #2:  Social Technology Mecca — In my mind EventCamp is a central place, for event professionals to learn about social media, and it’s evolving role in the business world.  Our community has been fortunate to feature presenters, across the four EventCamp conferences that have taken place thus far, that are among the most respected individuals in the New Media business.  Many meetings and events industry organizations are watching our events closely, and have actually introduced components to their events, modeled after ideas expressed, or tested at EventCamp.

Reason #3:  Thought Leader’s Haven — EventCamps are a safe place for attendees to exchange ideas, collaborate and share opinions regarding common topics of interest.  Our events take place in a relaxed, creative environment, with no rules or expectations, other than open, honest and respectful communication.

Reason #4:  Quality People Attend — Through EventCamp I have met some of the most amazingly wonderful and smart people in my entire career.  Clearly, there exists a spirit of generous and unselfish collaboration across the community.  I cherish these new relationships, and as with anything great, I crave more of them!

Reason #5:  Personal Growth — There is no question my approach towards doing business has shifted, and my life has been positively impacted as a result of my experiences with EventCamp.  From the relationships I have developed through the EventCamp community, I have learned a great deal, both personally and professionally.  In several cases these initial contacts have evolved into lifelong friendships which I will cherish forever.

I am personally very excited about what the next year will bring to the EventCamp community.  I hope you are too!  If you haven’t attended an EventCamp conference as of yet, you really need to take the plunge.  It will be well worth your time.

I look forward to revisiting with  you, next year (2012), at about this time, on all the innovations that will inevitably occur between now and then in our community.

Question:  Do these ideas resonate with you?  If you have attended an EventCamp, what are your impressions?  What could be better?  If you have not attended one of these events, why not?

Jody Urquhart February 19, 2011 at 1:18 pm

i Havent attended Event Camp but I follow alot of meeting/ event professionals who do. It does strike me that the people who are a part of this community are cutting edge in the New Media Business. I am starting to see more of this at events too

Michael M McCurry CMP February 19, 2011 at 5:56 pm

Hi Jody,

You are so right in your comment that many ppl in the EventCamp community are cutting edge. I have learned so much from colleagues and the collaboration is wonderful.

Hope to see at a future EventCamp conference. Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

Tahira Endean February 19, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Yes – what he said. Event Camps ROCK for all those reasons (and the 21 I blogeed about too!) Thank you MM and all your tweeps for the founding of this awesome experience that will continue to evolve.

Michael M McCurry CMP February 19, 2011 at 5:58 pm

Hey Tahira, how are you?

Your blog post was awesome … read it and RT’ed it earlier this week.

We are so glad you are now part of the EventCamp community and it was great to connect with you in Chicago last weekend at ECNC 2011. Thanks for commenting and look forward to seeing you again soon!

Midori Connolly February 20, 2011 at 10:19 am

Another reason to love EventCamp is that there are basically no restrictions, no rules (except for courtesy, kindness and open and honest dialogue). Being a self-organized group, there are no limits on who can or cannot participate.
I’ve been talking to many of my European friends encouraging them to try this experiment, it would be so fun to see some of them put something together on another continent! It IS a global community after all :)

As usual, an awesome post for a great Sunday read.
Midori

Michael M McCurry CMP February 20, 2011 at 5:28 pm

Hey Midori,

How nice to see you stop by my blog on a Sunday morning.

What you said above is completely true. I would love to see an EventCamp come together in Europe or Asia or some other part of the world, and I think inevitably it will happen.

Glad you enjoyed the post … I always love your comments!

Thanks for adding to the conversation.

Debra Roth February 20, 2011 at 10:57 am

Thank you Mike, for your words and all your hard work in helping make this community flourish. I too am in agreement and in fascination of this great group of individuals that creates this community. Ideas and relationships expand in the context of the EventCamp model – re-thinking conferences, meetings and events and the new media. It is an exciting time and our group is in the center of the mix, exploring New Media and Event models.

I can’t wait to see what happens next!
-Debra, @pinkdeb

Michael M McCurry CMP February 20, 2011 at 5:30 pm

Hi Deb,

It truly is an exciting time and I love that our community is right in the middle of it all.

It was great to see you in Chicago, and will look forward to connecting with you again sometime soon. Thanks for stopping by!

Mary Taggatz February 21, 2011 at 11:35 am

I absolutely agree with all of the above! It was an energizing time spent with, as Mike said, some of the smartest and most creative people I’ve had the good fortune to meet (all in one place!). Ditto on the personal and professional growth. From the inspirational — Hank Wasiak … to the practical — Glenn, Erica and all the rest … to the unexpected — Scott Koslosky … my head was spinning by the time I left. I participated in ECTC virtually and it was great, but the in-person experience was FANTASTIC! Thanks to the organizers, sponsors and hosts (and particpants) who made it possible.

Michael M McCurry CMP February 23, 2011 at 4:56 pm

Hi Mary,

Pardon my tardiness in responding to your comment.

I think you summed it up pretty well, so I am just going to thank you for your feedback regarding the event, and for sharing your succinct recap of your personal experience there.

We really do have a special community out there and it will only get better with future EventCamp Events.

Thanks again for contributing to the discussion.

lovly February 23, 2012 at 1:23 am

these are good reasons.

boy celebrity dress up games online August 17, 2014 at 4:11 am

Blue denim with a white shirt, irrespective of which era
he or she belongs to, can add a huge plus to ones fashion quotient.
At times fashionable dresses will rate you a lot of money, so liquorish
is sure name brands for latest dresses. However, the mere fact of adding them to
summer dresses destroys the unique appeal of this type of boutique dresses online.