Saturday, June 19, 2010

Four Reasons Why Social Technology Generates Powerful Connections

How would you characterize the strength, or quality of your online connections?  This past week I had a reflective “Ah Hah” moment.  I realized I have developed some of the strongest personal connections, in my life, via social technology.

Many people believe online relationships are just that.. online, and have a limited ability to evolve.  In my experience that has not been the case.  Over the past 16 months I have met and befriended some incredible people through online communities. (i.e. Twitter and Facebook)

social-networking connections

So why have I been so fortunate?  What made this possible?  Is there a magic formula?  Here are some possible reasons why such awesome connections occur.

Power of Social Technology

#1: Tribal Magnetism — The viral nature of social technology facilitates a person’s ability to connect with other like-minded individuals.  A common passion and interest magnetizes users towards one another.  Thus over time tribes, or communities of interest, may be formed through this process.  Tribal bonds are strong, anchored by common beliefs and value systems.  Note:  I found my tribe, with the Twitter hashtag community “Eventprofs.”

#2:  Transparency — In the Social Technology world there is no place to hide.  Transparency is the only option.  Everything a person says and does is out in the open.  So, other users get a true sense of your makeup quickly.  Without the typical barriers and mind games one might find, in traditional social interactions, it is easier to turn online connections into friendships.

#3: No Social Caste System, and No Titles — In online communities no hierarchy exists, or organization chart.  The “playing field” is level, and everyone is equal.  It does not matter if you work as a company CEO, or a janitor for the local school.  Your digital identity is determined by your actions and your words, not by what is printed on your business card.

#4:  Face2Face Connections — Online connections naturally progress to face2face meetings, which can be very powerful.  Note:  For nearly a year I had strong online interactions with Eventprofs, and then in February 2010 our community met face2face at a conference called “EventCamp.” The experience was truly inspiring, and as a result of that event many of my online relationships grew into deeper friendships.

Question — What experiences have you had in developing online relationships?  What do you think has influenced their evolution?  Have you met face2face and how did that go?  Please share your thoughts with us!

Vanessa LaClair June 23, 2010 at 10:14 am

Michael –
Social Media is such a powerful tool…and I have made so many connections with people I have yet to meet F2F, yourself included! I found my own “tribe” with MPI and the meetings/events professionals. I set out to connect with them online, mainly by using Twitter, and my tribe has grown ten-fold.

I have connected in real life with a few of my Twitter friends, and the experience has been so positive. Their “live” personalities have matched their online ones. But its so important to be real online, because you never know how or where you’ll meet in the future. Everyone these days is so upfront and honest in the social media world – and it makes for very positive experience.

For those I have not met in person yet, they inspire me every day and I hope that I do eventually get to meet them all at least once in my lifetime! (Hopefully I’ll meet many at WEC!)

red bandage dresses for sale June 16, 2014 at 4:05 am

One function of the bustle and the hoopskirt was to make the
waist look smaller and to enhance the bust. Resources
may grace with your presence to related topics, such as grooming, fashion, and etiquette and not just fashion modeling alone.
By searching on the net, one can find hundreds of fashion industry portals where all kinds of information related
to European fashion are available in detail.

internet marketing best practices June 30, 2014 at 2:32 pm

We all love it, but it hasn’t really gotten the traction yet of some of the other medias,” Krogue said. Social media activities are not only restricted to the hands of online marketers, but it has paved its way out of the IT departments. Also, using social network sites enables you to portray yourself as a leader. One great way of generating a buzz for your book is to giveaway a chapter or so away for free. If your mission is to build a steady customer-base, an active social media profile can bring hundreds of Twitter & Facebook followers within a few weeks. Remember, what you feel is important may not be encompassing enough. After all, everyone loves good content and will click on the product links if they are ready to buy something. The internet marketing approach proposed by the Consultant Shama Kabani is unique and innovative. And remember that there may be some things you don’t know. long-term passive income businesses need social media strategies.

backflow prevention pompano beach fl July 1, 2014 at 2:45 am

Just follow the instructions, every person can fix these problems.
” In little time at all, the completed washing was spinning away drying in the only dryer, I was standing under a well eared hot shower giving myself a good rubdown. A new toilet will give the bathroom an up-date, sleek touch.

you and me moving and storage west palm beach July 1, 2014 at 1:42 pm

Finding the right house for your family means finding the best nest will help you to take care of your kids better.
As I am communicating services, Practical goal referring to the switching your property from stage
A to suggest M. Most of the Denver moving companies make use of quality packing boxes.

wholesale medical grade skin care products July 3, 2014 at 7:23 am

Just how much folic acid do you need to notice a difference
in your hair growth. Having a well hydrated body is a sure way of having your energy levels high at all times.
Heating dries up the hair, which can also create a lot of problems for your hair.

fort lauderdale plumbers eemax sp4208 water heater July 15, 2014 at 4:48 am

Before marriage, search carefully for compatibility.
Flat paint is the best choice for hiding rough spots and
surface imperfections, which makes it perfect for ceilings and walls.
Do not just ask any plumber to come over and do some immediate repairs.

install tub butterfly world pompano beach July 23, 2014 at 9:02 pm

A Los Gatos plumbing expert is a strategy to all of your plumbing Los Gatos problems.

The kitchen and bathroom are the places that we
hang out in, at the end of a hard day. Your time is valuable,
so it doesn’t make much sense to spend all of it dealing with a plumbing
problem.

chloe sims aveda hair care products for curly hair July 23, 2014 at 9:16 pm

You don’t know how your skin will react to real sun light, you might not tan enough or
tan too much and burn. Look for one with no or very little shimmer, since natural tans are matte, not shiny.
What’s yours is yours, nothing and no one can take it away from you.

christian men August 15, 2014 at 1:49 am

Fortunately, there are a number of treatments available if you suffer from this unfortunate condition. To achieve the best
results, become more proactive with the appropriate professional services and products for your specific condition, have a
hair care analysis performed and get a personalized consultation.
If your hair is long and strong, you can go for any kind
of style that suits your face or personality the best.

pompano boynton beach plumbers beach fl August 20, 2014 at 1:29 am

If there are, shut off the water connection and repeat whatever
step should fix the leak. This is made of vitreous china, a ceramic fired at high temperature to form a non-porous body
coated. The important thing is to a step closer to
the kitchen you’ve always wanted.

nose job yes or no August 30, 2014 at 2:12 pm

But there are also those who are not amenable to this kind of treatment such
as Dr. The rhinoplasty surgeons India enhance the nose
by reshaping it by using components like cuboids, gristle (fibrous) and a couple of fashioned
elements as well. Those who want to get rid of such problems must have tried various
anti-ageing products, but found no result.