Friday, May 7, 2010

Asset Based Thinking — How to Change the Way You See Everything!

Sometimes it’s the small things in life that make a big difference in shaping our attitudes.  On any given day any number of factors may be influencing our behavior, without our even being aware of it.  Sound familiar to you?

Last weekend (April 30 -May2) I participated in the SOBCon 2010 Conference here in Chicago.  For more information regarding this event please visit the SOBCon Blog, or refer to my May 1st blog article.

I enjoyed many aspects of this conference, but One of my favorite moments was a presentation by Hank Wasiak, entitled “Asset-Based Business Thinking.” (ABT)  Hank is a credible speaker, and the c0-author of the book “Change the Way You See Everything.”

One of Hank’s talking points is “Power is who you are, not what you have.”  He believes small shifts in the way you think make seismic differences in the way you are perceived by others.  Check out the following video which was shot through the lens of children.  It does a wonderful job of demonstrating the value of ABT!

ABT is a choice, not a personality trait.  If you subscribe to this fundamental shift, in thinking, it will enrich your life and those around  you.  Here are some of Hank’s thoughts:

• Create your own “mega moment” map and then focus on following it.
  • Believe in something big – Find your mighty cause!  Focus your time and energy in fulfilling it.
  • Make desire more important than fear — Let your passion be your guide, driving your actions.
  • Your Mentors Matter – Imitate them shamelessly, and often.
  • Relating is an attitude and an action — To find common ground with someone, you must see value in doing it and then follow up.
  • Have Courageous Conversations — Talk to people, with conviction, about your assets and aspirations.
  • Knock someone’s socks off — Impress someone, not with what you say, but what you do.

“In life it’s not whether the glass is half full, or half empty, its what is in the glass. We need to forget perfection and pursue progress.”
Hank Wasiak

Quoting Wasiak, “Who’s on your Mt. Rushmore?

Qualities you admire in people most likely you have inside of you.  You just may not have realized it yet.  As Human beings we are drawn to other people with similar value systems.

A great way to end each day is with a reflective ABT bedtime story.  Can you Identify 5 good things that happened to you today?  If you make a habit of doing this consistently, you will go to bed inspired, and you will wake up energized!

Many of us think about what our legacies will be when we depart from this world.  Why not live them now?

Do these thoughts resonate with you?  What special techniques do you use in your routine to get fired up about life?  We would love to hear about them.

Hank Wasiak May 7, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Hey Mike. Thanks for your great post about my talk at sobcon. It was one of the most inspiring three days I’ve had in quite some time. I am humbled and honored by the nice reception asset-based thinking received at the session. Thank you for taking the time to present it to your readers in such a comprehensive and motivational manner. It was great to spend time with you and I look forward to many more great discussions.

Hank Wasiak

Michael M McCurry CMP May 8, 2010 at 7:34 am

Hi Hank,

Thanks so much for treating us with your session on Asset-Based Business Thinking.

I am going to buy the book and read it cover to cover. You are right SOBCon was an amazing event. I am still awestruck at the brain power that was in that room!

Thanks for contributing and I know our paths will cross again.

Eric Lukazewski May 7, 2010 at 2:36 pm

As an attendee at SBOCon, I was also struck by being introduced to Hank’s Asset Based Thinking. As you aptly state, this line of thinking is a CHOICE, meaning it is a lengthy process in developing as second nature. However, I believe it’s power in how we perceive every day situations, personal or business, is worth the effort.

I especially admire the attention that Hank spends on our younger generations. Building these impressions on the future of society and impacting them at a young age is critical. As the spouse of an educator, it’s quite amazing the potential this line of thinking could provide.

Michael M McCurry CMP May 8, 2010 at 7:37 am

Hey Eric,

ABT is more than a way of thinking, I believe it is a way of life.

I thought it was beautiful how the kids in that video captured the essence of this mindset, so simply, and powerfully.

Thanks for contributing, as always, to the discussion.

Midori Connolly May 7, 2010 at 2:56 pm

Excellent post Michael! Great summary of some really useful and inspiring ideas. You know, when I’ve been treated poorly, have a negative experience during the workday or even catch myself being totally self-absorbed; the best way I’ve found to cope with the frustration, anger or disappointment, is to go out and throw myself into doing the nicest things possible for someone else.
One really simple and easy way to do something nice is to find a person in your social network and send out a tweet or facebook statement about how great they are. Or, if you would rather do something quieter, send someone from your contact list a short, honest and kind statement about what you like most about them and why they should be proud of who they are.
The next time you’re having a bad day, try this. I swear it clears the clouds almost immediately!!!!

btw, I love the word conviction. It’s one of my favorites :-)
Have a great weekend!
Midori Connolly, Chief AVGirl
@GreenA_V

Michael M McCurry CMP May 8, 2010 at 7:39 am

Hi Midori,

As always, your insights are wonderful.

You live the philosophy you just described. More than once you have posted a tweet that was very supportive of me, and it has been most appreciated! We could all do more of that for sure.

Thanks for contributing and hope your weekend is awesome as well!

Cate.TV May 20, 2010 at 3:26 pm

Hello, Hello Mike!

Thinking about you both earlier today! – Hugs and keep doing the ABT ‘ s

Move over ABC’s here come the ABT’s ……now we need to do a song….hmmm…Hank, we’re ready when you are dear :)

Best, and let’s chat soon for sure!

Cate