Friday, April 30, 2010

SOBCon 2010 — Business Strategy At It’s Finest!

Have you ever attended an educational event believing your learning experience would be a certain way, only to have it go a completely different direction?  That has been the case for me, this week, at the SOBCon 2010 Conference.

As I prepare for day two of this event, I spent some time reflecting on my first day’s experience.  To provide some context “SOBCon” stands for “Successful Outstanding Blogger Conference.”  In my opinion, it’s logical to expect this would be an event focusing on education directed at the business of blogging.  As it turns out, nothing could be further from the truth.

About midway through yesterday’s sessions I realized this conference was more about business thinking, and not so much about sharpening blogging skills.  I am not disappointed.  I am just surprised.

Truth is I registered for, and am attending SOBCon at the suggestion of a close friend, and power blogger.  He was so passionate in his recommendations that I pretty much ignored the conference promotion materials, and headed to the registration page.

So what is SOBCon?  What is it’s value?  Here are some thoughts:

• Incredible Thought Leadership — I am impressed with the caliber and intelligence of people I have met at this conference of 150ppl. (sold out)  Their incredible insight, and savvy business perspectives are game-changing.
  • Highly Interactive — The SOBCon session design lends itself to terrific dialogue, encouraging discussions, shared experiences, and uniquely alternative points of view.  That is a potent formula for stimulating audience engagement!
  • Powerful Networking Opportunity — Make no mistake about it, participants in this conference are here to make connections and learn from one another, myself included.  That universal spirit has led to some amazing connections.

“Throw yourself a curveball and break from your comfort zone!”
Terry Starbucker, SOBCon Co-Founder

I truly look forward to what today’s program will generate.  I am certain it will not be boring, and most likely there are some more pleasant surprises coming.

I look forward to sharing them with you!

Question:  If you are a SOBCon Attendee, or following this event, what perceptions can you add regarding the impact and quality of this conference?

Doreen Ashton Wagner May 4, 2010 at 7:48 pm

I look forward to hearing about more of your impressions from SOBCon. I noticed quite a few tweets amongst our eventprof community, but had never heard of the event till now. I am curious: did you encounter many people from the meetings industry (especially on the supply side)? If so, how were these participants relating social media & blogging to the pressures many of them face to drive occupancy and visitations?

Michael M McCurry CMP May 6, 2010 at 7:23 am

Hi Doreen,

There were only two other people from the events business at the SOBCon event. (Eric Lukazewski and Susan Radojevic) The conference was more about business strategy than being industry specific. A good portion of the folks that attended were business owners.

There were some great takeaways in terms of approaches to doing business which I plan to write about soon. Stay tuned.

Thanks for contributing!

Barbara Palmer May 6, 2010 at 7:46 am

Mike, I look forward to reading more. I’d be interested to know what in particular made the session design so effective.

Thanks for bringing this conference onto the radar screen!

Barbara Palmer

chloe sims best mink eyelashes extensions August 18, 2014 at 8:06 pm

There is a host of spray tanning products in the market for the consumer to decide on if they choose to spray tan at home.

There is actually solid ground at the bottom of this gap, although you won’t see it until you jump down to collect the puzzle piece.
As the queen of nearly every beauty treatment you
enjoy, you must be sure you have the proper supplies
stocked regularly.

How To Stop A Bloody Nose September 7, 2014 at 5:58 am

If you have any questions pertaining to where and ways to utilize web site (
super fast reply ), you can contact us at the web page.
Nathan Newman is world renowned for his advanced cosmetic surgery procedures.
If nothing else, it is more “beach and tan” culture than the West LA
So many people seeking cosmetic surgery and there are many thousands of them who can afford it.

man bites dog September 10, 2014 at 9:31 am

You can go to their websites and look for a listing
for the doctors you are considering. Is he an active member of a Plastic Surgery
Association or Society. By using a radio frequency face lift, many men and women can prolong the need for a full-fledged face lift later on in life.