Friday, October 23, 2009

From Black Ice to Blogging!

I can’t believe it  has been 2 1/2 weeks since my last blog article.  After 5 1/2 months of writing 2-3 articles per week I think I experienced my first “burnout.”  Well I am anxious to resume writing… there are so many things happening in the world and so much to talk about!

My recent  sabbatical from writing reminded me of a really important aspect of life;  taking a break once in a while and relax a little.  Many of us get so wrapped up in what we are doing these days that we sometimes forget to enjoy life!  Well, I can’t think of a better way to recharge my batteries than some Black Ice, Chesapeake Crab, Friends and Football!Black Ice

Due to the tough economy I could not afford to take  a lavish vacation (kudos to those of you able to do that!)   Instead I settled for  a 4-day weekend and here is the recap of what I did:

• From Friday until Tuesday I did not respond to any business email, or business cell phone calls.  I admit I did scan my email a few times, just because I can’t stand not knowing what is out there.
  • I took a short trip from Chicago to Washington DC and Baltimore, Md.  During that trip I
    • Met a longtime Second Life friend of mine that I’ve never met Face to Face.
    • Went to AC/DC concert at the Verizon Center in DC.  It was phenomenal … check out the video clip embedded in this article from their concert opening and the pic of my SL friend and I.

Tracey & I at ACDC

Tracey & I at AC/DC Concert

• Had dinner with my Twitter Friend Greg Ruby and Tracey at a fabulous restaurant in Baltimore called “Mom’s on the Half Shell.”  I recommend this restaurant for anyone visiting Baltimore, that likes Seafood.  Their Crab and artichoke dip is out of this world!

Mike and Greg at Moms on half shell

Greg Ruby & I at Mom's

• Sunday — Flew back to Chicago and spent the entire day living and breathing NFL Football!  I do this anyways on any given Sunday, but it felt especially good after my quick trip to the East Coast.  My son joined me to watch the Bears game on Sunday evening.
  • Monday — Best day of all, I did absolutely nothing except relax, watch movies, and enjoyed some great music.

All in all not a mind blowing vacation, but relaxing nonetheless!!

So my question to you is have you been working too hard lately? If so, take some time off…. do some things you enjoy, and your work will still be there when you return!!  If you have something special or unique that you do to take the edge off during these “rejuvenation” moments please share it with us.

Jeff Hurt October 23, 2009 at 2:44 pm

Good to have you back. I missed my McCurry’s ponderings and musings on life and the event professional. Looks like you had a great time & I’m jealous that I didn’t get to meet you and Greg in person. Well, it will happen at PCMA 2010 Dallas for sure…wonder if Greg will be there?

Michael M McCurry CMP October 23, 2009 at 5:51 pm

@Jeff Hurt,

Hey Jeff, thanks for the reply and yes, Greg Ruby plans to be in Dallas at the PCMA event!

I have more new articles coming, on both this blog and the Experient e4 blog next week.. it is good to be writing again!

Midori Connolly October 25, 2009 at 2:52 pm

Great to have you back Mike, I loved the Facebook pictures! Funny, you and JLev have both done staycations this year :-) I haven’t had a real vacation or even a staycation in about two years. So, yes, I’m a bit envious.
And now I’m getting even more green around the gills (haha) that there’s going to be a big ole lovefest of all my Twitter buddies at PCMA. Sigh. Oh well, maybe at EventCamp 10.
Midori

Aiping Wang Fulepp February 10, 2010 at 1:07 am

Unfortunately the reality is that we all age as we get older which gives way to fine lines, wrinkles, age spots, loose skin and skin that does not have the same youthful glow that it once did. Other factors also contribute to the skin looking older such as sun exposure, smoking, illnesses, stress etc.

Cpa In Boca Raton Fl August 3, 2014 at 2:45 am

If this is not done timely, the expat will NOT be able to use the exclusion.
Prepare yourself for the possibility that you may fail some of the sections before you can pass them, and
accept that as a normal part of the journey of preparing for
and passing the CPA. ‘ I think he must have been thinking
of Andrew when he said it.

chloe sims starship tanning texas rangers baseball schedule August 27, 2014 at 8:15 pm

However, users of conventional or biodegradable sun tan lotion should
also heed the Food and Drug’s Administration’s advice
that there is no scientific study to uphold sunscreens, as the ultimate protections against
the sun’s powerful UV rays. According to a study conducted in a Japanese village, vitamin A present in these eatables make them stay young and live longer.

Airbrush tanning or sunless tanning is the safe way to tan.